Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

21 PROVERBS FROM THE BOOK OF BUFORD

Proverbs 3:1 My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; 
2 For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,
4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.

Growing up, I thought that my father (Buford Graves) was waaaaaaayyyy too hard on me.  Now I'm a man trying to be a good husband, a good father, and a good pastor in a world that seems unequivocably committed to destroying the family, undermining the gospel, and opposing every good and right thing.  Now, I understand what my father was doing.  Buford did for me what Solomon tried to do for his son with the book of Proverbs.  He gave me the tools I needed for success in a world that would hold more opportunities and more perils than what Daddy had known. 

So, let me share with you just a few of the things my father taught me.  (I've had to clean up the original language quite a bit.) 

1. Just because it isn’t your fault doesn’t mean it isn’t your responsibility.


2. A man who won’t work isn’t a man.

3. Nobody cares how you feel. They care what you do.

4. Get your tail out of bed, there is work to do; and it’s not going to do itself.

5. Half-doing it is the same as not doing it.

6. Do right by everybody. You don’t know who they know.

7. Mind your own business.

8. Never spend your last dollar.

9. Quit crying.

10. However bad things may get, if you own some land you’ll never be homeless.

11. Nothing and nobody makes you run when you’re in your own yard.

12. In an organization, find out who can say, “Yes,” when everyone else has said, “No;” and

“No” when everyone else has said, “Yes.” Meet that person.

13. If you stab somebody in the back, expect somebody else to shoot you in the head.

14. Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But mostly keep your mouth shut.

15. Know where the exits are.

16. Protect women. Protect children.

17. Listen to old folks. They didn’t survive that long by being stupid.

18. Things don’t always go your way.

19. If you carry a knife, keep it sharp.

20. Keep gas in your car.

21. Don’t be stupid.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Buford sayings......Since my dad said some of these too, I plan to use this oneday. Minister Charlene Boykin

    ReplyDelete