Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

"Born for Adversity" A Lesson from Proverbs 17: 17

Proverbs 17: 17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

My big sister Janifer and I used to fight (literally, physically fight) all the time. I truly believe that she spent much of the first 12 years of my life trying to figure out how to make my death look like an accident. I confess, too, that I was skilled and busy at getting on her nerves. It’s like we were born to be adversaries.

But, she wouldn’t let anybody (else) mess with me.

She had a near-prophetic sense for when a fight was imminent and she would fly in, ponytails swinging. She’d step between me and whomever it was (which ticked me off to no end, because I usually wanted to fight). Even when it was a bully on the bus bigger than both of us put together, she stood between us and didn’t back down.

And, I was just as protective of her. We went to a 6-12 school, so when I, the 5 foot-nothing, 68 pound jr. high kid, heard or sensed that some upperclassmen was coming at my big sister the wrong way, I’d go find him. And I meant every word that I yelled up at him. Disrespect to Janifer Graves would come with serious/ ” sharp” consequences for him---- and his 2 big friends. They could kick my tail if they wanted to (and sometimes they wanted to) but if anybody touched my sister I would ……Well, let’s just remember that I wasn’t saved then.

The way we watched each other’s backs, it was like we were born for times of adversity.

Today, I consider my big sister one of my very best friends. We love each other.

Being a friend who loves at all times, does not mean that you have to always agree. It doesn’t mean that you have to uphold your friend in wrong or always save them from the just consequences of their choices.
It does mean that even when you aren’t happy with them, you still love them. True friendship, true brotherly/ sisterly love, means that when you see/sense them in danger, you intercede. The danger may be from others, or it may be a danger of their own creation.

Your intercession may be physical and visible, or it may be invisible to all but God.

Pray for your friends. When you truly pray, you talk to God and you listen to Him.

The Lord will show you how to help. Sometimes He’ll provide a way to bring them out. Sometimes His way isn’t what you would’ve chosen. Sometimes His way to help isn’t the help they asked for. Sometimes, He’ll tell you to stand back and let them fight their own fight (and maybe take their own beating).

Love them enough to always love God and His will more. At all times, even in adversity-- love them God’s way.

No comments:

Post a Comment