Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

HOLD ON. IT'LL BE WORTH IT.

If you do ministry, mentoring, education, or community outreach; or if you don’t give what you do a title and you just try to live right and help people however you can then eventually you will learn some uncomfortable truths.  Eventually, you will see things in people that will break your heart. Eventually you will understand the minor prophets and you’ll pray something like Habakkuk did.

Why do You show me iniquity, and cause me to see trouble? For plundering and violence are before me. There is strife, and contention arises.  Therefore the law is powerless, and justice never goes forth. For the wicked surround the righteous; therefore perverse judgment proceeds. (Habakkuk 1: 3, 4)     

Don’t give up.  Don’t let the sense of uselessness overtake you.   You asked, “God, why do you show me all this?  Why do I have to know how messed up these people really are?” 

It’s O.K. to ask these things of God.  But, don’t ask them as rhetorical questions.  Listen, because God has an answer.

Look among the nations and watch.  Be utterly astounded! For I will work a work in your days which you would not believe, though it were told you. (Habakkuk 1: 5)

God says, “Hold on.  Keep learning what I’m teaching you.  Keep seeing what I show you.  I know what I’m doing.  You can’t see it now.  Just keep doing what I’ve already told you to do. 
You’ll see.  You’ll see.  It’s going to be sooooo worth it.
Seriously, it's going to be so good you wouldn't believe me if I told you.”

Hold on.  It’ll be worth it.  You’ll see.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama, executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO) and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).


To hear sermons, read devotions, and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme.blogspot.com .

You can read more on Pastor Graves's personal blog at www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com  .

If this message helps or touches you, please help support this ministry. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment