Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

SPIRITUAL DROWNING DOESN’T LOOK LIKE DROWNING

A friend shared an article called “DROWNING DOESN’T LOOK LIKE DROWNING.” That article scared me.

I learned that drowning is “the No. 2 cause of accidental death in children, ages 15 and under.”  That’s bad, but what really scared me was learning that “of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.”

Half the time, parents literally watch their babies drown----- and they don’t even know it.

How?  Because most of us don’t know what drowning looks like.  Drowning doesn’t look like drowning.

We think drowning looks like it does in the movies.  In the movies, drowning people dramatically splash and gasp and yell for help.  But that’s not how it works in real-life. 

Sometimes people do yell for help and thrash about in the water. That’s called Aquatic Distress and sometimes (but not always) happens before true drowning.  The difference is that during aquatic distress, the victim can still assist in their own rescue by grabbing a lifeline, throw ring, etc.

The noise and drama means that they haven’t lost control.  They’re scared but not yet dying.

Actual drowning is characterized by the Instinctive Drowning Response which looks very different from the Hollywood version.

The more I thought about this article, the more I understood why the church loses so many people.  They’re right next to us, spiritually drowning, and we don’t even know it because the Instinctive Drowning Response looks like this:
1.       Drowning people are silent.  “Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help.” The brain deprioritizes speech in place of the instinctive search for air.

I’ve had church members tell me why they no longer come to church, but I’ve never had one tell me as they were heading out the door that they weren’t coming back.  They just leave and they don’t say anything.
Hollywood has us programmed to respond to drama.  When a family on tv is in crisis, doors get slammed, imposing music plays on the soundtrack, and the cameras flash a series of close-ups on tightly emotional faces. 
But in the real world, when things get really bad, people just go silent.  They stop arguing.  They stop saying anything. 
They just go under.

2.       Drowning people look like they’re swimming just fine.  “Drowning people’s mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water.”  It looks like they’re breathing before diving again, but they can’t stay above water long enough to fill their lungs with air.

I’ve walked with many individuals and families through dramatic crises. During the most dramatic moments they are at church, on the phone with me, seeking godly counsel, and praying.
They look like they’re going to be alright and even grow from the experience.
But then they just go under.  They miss worship.  They skip counseling.  They stop calling and returning calls.  Quietly.  Without drama.  They just sink beneath the waves.

3.       Drowning people don’t signal for help.  “Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water’s surface” instead of raising their arm to wave.

When people drown spiritually, they often don’t  cry for help.  Oh sometimes there’s the midnight phone call or the desperate “Pastor, can you come by right now” text.  But most of the time, when it gets really, really bad---- nobody says anything.
Days or weeks later when I find out what happened, I ask, “Why didn’t you tell me?” And they respond, “I didn’t want to worry you.  There was nothing you could do anyway.”

4.       Drowning people look calm but they’ve lost control.  The survival instinct so overwhelms drowning victims’ brains that they physically cannot choose to help themselves or to help you help them by voluntarily reaching out or grasping a floatation device.

We say, “He just ‘snapped.’ “ 
“All of a sudden, she just lost it.”
After weeks of oh-we’re-fines, the psychologically broken truth comes out.  Really, we don’t see them lose control.  Control was gone a long time ago. 
What we see is the loss of false calm masquerading as control.

When they’re really far gone, they can’t help themselves.   I can’t just throw them a lifeline of  “Call me if you need anything,” because they won’t make that call.  They can’t.  They’re too busy trying to keep their heads above water.

5.       There’s a very small window for rescuing someone who’s drowning.  When someone’s really drowning, it isn’t a 5 minute sequence during which siblings can argue, a couple can share a kiss, and lifeguards can run in slow motion after fixing their hair and make-up.  ”Drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.”

As a pastor, I’m the spiritual guardian of my congregation.  I’m there in the water with them, and if they’re drowning, I’ve got maybe 20-60 seconds as they greet me at the end of worship or Bible study to  notice and grab them, and start the struggle of getting them to stop fighting me and God so that God can restore to them the breath of life.

The drowning article scared me because I realized that I have watched souls drown in my church, and I didn’t even know it.  But now I know what to look for.  Now I know, and I’m not scared anymore.

I’m determined that no one else in my charge is going under without me noticing and wrapping my arms around them doing my best to lift them up.

Deliver me out of the mire,
And let me not sink;
Let me be delivered from those who hate me,
And out of the deep waters.
Let not the floodwater overflow me,
Nor let the deep swallow me up;
And let not the pit shut its mouth on me.  (Psalm 69: 14, 15)

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama, executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO) and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
To listen to sermons and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme.blogspot.com .

You can help support this ministry by clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road

Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment