Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

When the Bad Dreams Come

Last night, Sheila had a nightmare.  In her sleep she cried out, “Help me! Help me!”  And then she called for me by name.

I was in bed, too, but I was awake.  When she called my name, I immediately wrapped my arms around her and whispered, “It’s alright, baby.  I’m here.”  She relaxed, cradled my arm in hers, and slept on--- at peace.

I was happy that I could make it all right for my wife, but after thinking a bit I realized: I hadn’t stepped into her dream and altered the events of the nightmare.  So what had I done to give my bride unconscious peace in the midst of her bad dream? 

I'd done what God does.

The church is Jesus’ bride (Matthew 25; Revelations 21), and in the darkness of this world we are beset by subconscious fears:

Are we still important?
Are we still relevant?
Are we still right?

Without thinking we cry out, “Help us!  Help us, Lord!  Help us!  Help us, Husband!”

Jesus is awake.

Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.  (Psalm 121: 4)

Jesus is right there beside us, when we cry out.

The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. (Psalm 145: 18)

Jesus hears and answers.

Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’ …(Isaiah 58: 9)

We wish that our Groom would step into the dream and cast all the nightmares away.  That’s why we pray for His Kingdom to come and His will to be done on this dark Earth as it is already done under the light of Heaven.  We wish the Lord would just make all the bad dreams go away.  And sometimes He does.   God heals disease.  He provides resources.  He answers questions.  He casts out demons and fixes real life problems.

But a lot of the time He doesn't.

Instead He wraps His arms around us.  He holds us tight by His Holy Spirit, and He sweetly whispers in His still small voice, “It’s alright, Baby.  I’m here.”

Through scripture, through the many small miracles we see and soon forget, through the revelatory touch of the Holy Spirit, God gives us peace that passes the understanding of our half-conscious Earthly minds.

He reminds us that the darkness can’t hurt us because He is awake and He has already overcome the darkness.

All we have to do is accept the comfort of the reality of His presence.

All we have to do is soften into His embrace, and let God be God to us.  Even in the darkness where we fear for our status, our relevance, and our theology--- let Jesus be Lord.  Let Him be our peace.

Because that’s what Husbands do.

And that, as it turns out, is how you make the bad go away.

The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,
To all who call upon Him in truth.
He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
He also will hear their cry and save them.
The Lord preserves all who love Him,
But all the wicked He will destroy.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord,
And all flesh shall bless His holy name
Forever and ever. (Psalm 145: 18-20)

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
5220 Myron Massey Boulevard

 Fairfield, AL 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment