Search This Blog

Monday, December 8, 2014

FOR THE MESSENGERS


And I [Daniel]  heard a man’s voice between the banks of the Ulai, who called, and said, “Gabriel, make this man understand the vision.”
So he came near where I stood, and when he came I was afraid and fell on my face; but he said to me, “Understand, son of man, that the vision refers to the time of the end.”
Now, as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep with my face to the ground; but he touched me, and stood me upright.  And he said, “Look, I am making known to you what shall happen in the latter time of the indignation; for at the appointed time the end shall be.”  (Daniel 8:16-19)

I know that as a Christian and especially as a preacher and minister to the community, I’m supposed to be like Jesus.  That is my ambition, but honestly, most of the time I feel a lot more like Gabriel.

I’m a messenger, just the messenger, but I’m doing my best to make the people understand.  Still, my people have fallen asleep.  Some are mentally off in la-la land.  Others (and this is the most frustrating group) are spiritually asleep and unconcerned for the state of their souls and all the souls around them.

I want to do like my brother Gabriel.  I want to snatch them up and say, “Look, man!  I’m trying to help you out here.  I’m telling you what’s coming!”

he touched me, and stood me upright.  And he said, “Look, I am making known to you what shall happen

I feel Gabriel’s pain.  He got frustrated dealing with us humans.

I mean, you keep going out and telling these people what God told you to tell them.  And even when the message is literally the answer to their deepest prayer (Luke 1:13), they have the audacity to demand another miracle to validate the miracle of revelation you just delivered.

And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.” (Luke 1: 18)

Sometimes you just want to say, “Shut up talking to me.”

And the angel answered and said to him, “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.”  (Luke 1: 18-20)

I understand Gabriel’s reaction.  But that’s not what messengers are supposed to do.

It’s not for me to cut off communication when my God-assigned task is to communicate.  Discourse can be irritating, but dialogue is and has always been the best way to make this man understand.

And that, I think, is why Gabriel was so much nicer when he talked to Mary six months later. (Luke 1: 26,27)

Mary asked basically the same question that Zacharias had.

Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” (Luke 1: 34)

But Gabriel didn’t tell Mary to shut up for 9 months.  Instead, he patiently made the woman understand.

And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.  Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.  
For with God nothing will be impossible.” (Luke 1: 34-37)

I think God rebuked Gabriel after the Zacharias incident.  I think that Gabriel did some serious introspection in the months following his blow-up in the temple, and by the time he came to Nazareth, the angelic messenger was back on his game.

The people to whom he was sent had not heard God’s voice the way he heard it.  They had not spent the same hours in the Presence, studying, reflecting, praying, and wrestling through the message he had to deliver.   By the time he started speaking, the Word was a part of him, as clear and obvious as breath and light.

But they had never heard this message before.  Not exactly like this.  They needed to process the Word.  They needed to test the Word against life.  They needed to go see how the Word was operating in other lives, like Mary going to see how miraculous pregnancy looked on Elisabeth. (Luke 1: 39,40)

We messengers want our messages to bear fruit.  But sometimes the message is a seed.  And seeds take time to take root and grow before fruit is evident.

God had to tell Gabriel to calm down and be patient.

I know how Gabriel feels.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132

Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment