Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

THE WEAKEST LINK (to revival)


The presenter pointed at no one in particular in a way that made it feel like he was pointing at everyone at the same time and said, “Churches have to be honest.  We love to talk about our strengths, but we have to be honest and transparent about our weaknesses…” 

Then he started an exercise in which we were to state---  out loud, in front of all 19 churches represented --- what was our congregation’s greatest weakness.

A well-dressed sister on the far seat of a pew on the right side of the church raised her hand.  “I recently realized that I am my church’s greatest weakness.  It was hard, but I’m working on being better.”

It was one of the bravest things I’ve heard anybody say.



Without caveat or disclaimer, she took upon herself primary responsibility for whatever progress her church had not made.   Oh, and did I mention that the audience at this meeting was made up of pastors and representatives ELECTED by their congregation.  The sister who spoke up had the local prestige and pull to win a church-wide election.

Imagine a senator on the floor of the statehouse saying, “I’m the biggest weakness in my district.”  Kinda unimaginable, isn’t it?

But that’s the equivalent of what this sister did.

The Apostle James made a presentation to the New Testament church and taught, “Confess your faults/ trespasses  to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” (James 5: 16)

James wasn’t only talking about confessing our moral transgressions.  The word translated faults or trespasses includes all the ways we “fall short” in our Kingdom assignments.  To become whole/ healed in our Kingdom work we must each publicly own our Kingdom weaknesses.

Peter couldn’t be “The Rock” Jesus nicknamed him until he came to grips with his tendency to set his mind on man’s interest instead of the things of God (Matthew 16: 17-23) and the cowardice that his impulsivity and bravado were covering up (John 13: 37, 38)

Thomas had to openly face his doubtful nature (John 20: 24-29) to regain the courage to follow Jesus even to certain death (John 11: 16).

Paul had to face his personal demons every day and admit to the church--- in writing--- that despite his impressive theological credentials, he regularly failed.

…a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure--- Paul, 2 Corinthians 12:7

For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. --- Paul, Romans 7: 19

Like the apostles and the brave leader in our last district conference, all of us must find the courage to be transparent without caveat or disclaimer about the WEAKNESSES we bring to the Kingdom of God.

That is how the church experience revival. 

Contrary to popular advertising, Biblical revival is NOT a result of praise.  Praise is the response to revival.  True Kingdom revival is the RESULT of TRANSPARENT CONFESSION & REPENTANCE.

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land --- God, 2 Chronicles 7:14

Read 1 Chronicles chapter 29.  King Hezekiah presided over a national revival in Israel with offerings and sacrifices (verses 21-24), and praise and worship (verses 25-28).  But first, there was transparency in the form of unmitigated confession and repentance (verses 5-9).  God’s people owned the fact that their present problems were the result of their prior actions.  Then the Lord sent a revival.
 
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, right?

I am the weakest link.  Each of us is.

If we humble ourselves and admit that--- to each other, and then pray fervently for one another, then God will give greater grace and transform us weak links into a strong chain.

And that is the definition of revival:  the process by which God transforms the humbled weak into the Kingdom strong.



“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” --- God, 2 Corinthians 12: 9

I have witnessed the beginning of revival.  Now it’s my turn.

And yours.

Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ( 2 Corinthians 12: 9)


---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064



No comments:

Post a Comment