Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2015

PEEK A BOO


I loved playing peek-a-boo with my children.  I’d cover my eyes and my baby would go quiet.  I’d uncover my eyes and exclaim, “Here I am,” and the crowd would go wild!!

According to developmental psychologists, the thrill of peek-a-boo comes from an infant’s inability to understand object permanence.  Babies think that if they can’t see it, it doesn’t exist.  This gives infants the illusion of great power.

During the peek-a-boo stage, babies think that by covering their eyes, they can make themselves or anything else ---- disappear.

I’ve been a big peek-a-boo playing baby.

Online and in life I see things that make me uncomfortable and I cover my eyes.  I’ve said that I was guarding my eyes from temptation, but that’s true only maybe half the time. 

The other half of the time I’m pretending that if I don’t look at the reasoning of gay-marriage advocates then the issue doesn’t affect me.  I’m telling myself that if I don’t read the arguments of ultra-conservatives then their perspectives don’t exist in my world. 

I have acted as though I could make “them” go away by blinding myself.



But the world doesn’t work that way, and I’m too old to keep pretending that it does.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. (1 Corinthians 13:11)

You can tailor your online profile to filter out every article and idea that doesn’t absolutely support your worldview and convince yourself that “now, they can’t get to me.”

Sorry, bro.  They don’t go away because you close your eyes to them.  Just like we don’t go away because they close their eyes to us.

The homeless you pretend aren’t a problem because “I don’t see any where I live”: They are real whether you see them or not.

Those angry Black kids: You don’t SEE what the problem is. But just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean the problems aren’t there. 

Those fearful White people:  Except for the elite few at the top who run the system, the fear they feel is real.   Yeah, we do need to understand why. 

Put your hands down.  Uncover your eyes.

With babies it’s a game.  

With adults, it’s a curse.

When God decided to punish His people He told Isaiah to lead them into peek-a-boo. 

“Go, and tell this people: ‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand; Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.
Make the heart of this people dull, And their ears heavy, And shut their eyes; Lest they see with their eyes, And hear with their ears, And understand with their heart, And return and be healed.”  (Isaiah 68: 9,10)

A people who close their eyes to each other and to God's Truth will eventually walk right into their own destruction. 

Then I said, “Lord, how long?” And He answered: “Until the cities are laid waste and without inhabitant, The houses are without a man, The land is utterly desolate.  (Isaiah 68: 11)

We don’t have to agree.  We don’t have to reach consensus.  In the end some ideas are as stupid in the light as they sounded in the dark.

But we need to SEE that.  We need to learn how to make eye contact.  We need to look each other in the eyes and LISTEN. 

I know.  You've already heard all you need to know about "them."



Well, God actually does know everything actually.  He is actually always right, and He listens.

“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow.  Though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.  (Isiah 1:18)

You don't have to listen to condemn.  You don't have to listen to argue.  But to reason with them, you have to listen to their reasons.    

Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols. Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.(Acts 17:16-17)

My brothers and sisters, my friends and opponents, we don't have the power to make the other side disappear, so we might as well stop screaming at each other with our eyes closed and start reasoning together.  

Or, not.  

God will let us keep on playing peek-a-boo, if that’s what we choose. Just remember that peek-a-boo's only cute with infants. With adults, peek-a-boo is a curse.

Jesus said, “Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”  (Matt 15:14)

Ya’ bunch of big babies. 

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064


No comments:

Post a Comment