Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2015

WALKING THROUGH THE PROJECTS, HANGING BY THE WELL


In John chapter 4, Jesus sat beside a well in the Samaritan desert.  He was hot and thirsty so he asked a Samaritan woman for a drink of water.  Then Jesus talked to her.  They talked about worship, cultural conflicts, prophesy, the sin in her life, and His identity as the promised Messiah.  Ironically, as far as the Scriptures say, He never did get that drink of water but He didn't care.. When the disciples showed up with refreshments, Jesus told them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.” (John 4: 32)

It was hot.  He hadn’t eaten.  He hadn’t even drunk from the well, but Jesus’ was refreshed.

“My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. “ (John 4: 32, 34)

I thought about Jesus in the Samaritan heat because I almost didn’t walk through the projects today.

The first part of my Saturday morning had been spent with visiting alumni in a well-appointed, air-conditioned upstairs reception room at Miles College.  After that I dutifully changed the wording on our church marquis because somebody had to do it and I am that somebody.  By then it was about 11 A.M.   I had paperwork to do, a sermon to polish, and at least another hour-and-a-half on I-65 before I made it home to my laptop, but most importantly:  IT WAS HOT.

My brain, feet, and sweat glands had 90 degrees of reasons not to walk back and forth across the asphalt of the Newton Gardens Housing Projects. 

Jesus had lots of reasons not to sit, drink-less by that well, chatting with a woman His closest buddies would’ve never talked to.  But if Jesus hadn’t stayed in the heat, talking, He would have missed the chance to turn a Samaritan into an evangelist. 

The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men, “Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” (John 4: 28, 29)

Jesus would’ve missed the chance to lead many people in that community to faith. 

And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, “He told me all that I ever did.”
And many more believed because of His own word.
Then they said to the woman, “Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.”  (John 4: 39, 41-42)

If Jesus had done something more comfortable He wouldn’t have received the blessing of hospitality from the Samaritans and proven to the disciples that all the stereotypes about “those people” were wrong.

So when the Samaritans had come to Him, they urged Him to stay with them; and He stayed there two days. (John 4: 40)

If I had skipped my rounds in the projects across the street from our church I would’ve missed the chance to pray with the sister who’d just gotten back from dialysis.  I wouldn’t have talked and prayed with the lady whose mother died yesterday. I wouldn’t have joked with the kids who were running through with their football.  (Did you know that kids still play outside with footballs and stuff?)  If I’d made today an inside air-conditioning only day, I wouldn’t have learned a few things from the lady who grows the pretty flowers on her porch.  I wouldn’t have talked with the brother who wasn’t doing alright even though he said he was.  I could have retreated to my air-conditioned office, but then I would’ve missed the chance to invite the mother and daughter who “were just saying that we need to go to church somewhere this Sunday.”  If I hadn’t taken my usual walk through the projects I wouldn’t have gotten that  Sprite--- the one that a resident went into her kitchen to get for me when she saw that my bottle of water was empty.

By the time I finished talking to folks and, praying with folks, and listening to folks my shirt was soaked with sweat, but I felt strangely refreshed. 

My air-conditioning was to do the will of My Father and to carry on His work.

A lot of the time, we feel like our evangelistic efforts are unwelcome and ineffective.  We stress over strategies and material and training for neighborhood outreach.  But sometimes, sometimes the simple pastoral act of being there, the act of talking with whomever’s at the well, or out on the block, or sitting on their stoop, or hanging on the corner; sometimes that’s enough to bring supernatural deliverance and refreshing to somebody.  Today, I was that somebody.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment