Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

FAR FROM ME, NOT FAR FROM US


My son was with me when I walked into the Montgomery County Jail yesterday.  I had to get him to a doctor’s appointment, but  I also needed to check on one of the cyclically homeless guys I work with in town.  I timed checking Anderson out of school so I could do both before I went in to the SAYNO office for my other, other jobSome dads make you wait in the car while they grab donuts for the office.  A pastor’s teen son waits in the lobby of the Sheriff’s department while he goes back to chat with an inmate. .  Anderson wasn’t fazed. 

I had the conversation, checked on my client’s  status.  No, not my client.  What’s the word for people you pastor who aren’t members of your church and live 4 counties away from your congregation?  Well I checked on one of those guys and was back in the detention center lobby on schedule to drive my son across town to the doctor.  And that’s when the whole day went nuts.

Anderson handed me my phone (he held onto it while I was in the visiting area), and nonchalantly remarked, “Mom texted you.”

The text from my wife, his mother, which he had read, and replied to, the text which he pointed out with zero sense of urgency said:  KAITLIN’S CAR BROKE DOWN SOMEWHERE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IM ON MY WAY TO GET HER.

Whuuuut!?

Our daughter Kaitlin is in college in another state.  She was driving home from Mississippi for the weekend.

Now I’m thinking:  When was this? Side of what road?  “Broke down” how?  Is the car on fire?  Is Kaiitlin on fire?  How far down the road is Sheila?  Why da’ crap didn’t this boy tell the officers to come get me?

My baby girl was stranded, alone in another state, visible and vulnerable to all of the things fathers don’t want to think about.  Long story, short, I drove 3 hours to Mississippi yesterday and 3 hours back.

I’m from Mississippi so I called my family, explained Kaitlin’s situation and set them to it.  By the time the tow truck unhitched Kaitlin’s car, my brother-in-law had someone waiting in Meridian to pick her up and make sure she got something to eat.  Shortly after that my mom and my older sister arrived to drive Kaitlin around, lift her spirits, and watch her back. In the meantime, Sheila had gotten Anderson to the doctor and checked back in to school.  Hours later, when my tires squealed to a stop in Meridian, the not-quite panic-but-definitely-tears I’d heard over the sound of 18 wheelers passing too close to Kaitlin’s stalled vehicle had been transformed into a relaxed smile and the sweet, smart sarcasm that my daughter gets from me. 

I love my children.  I’d charge Hell with a pocketknife and a water gun if that’s
what it took to protect them.  But, yesterday I faced how incapable I am of protecting them  .  . . alone.


Jesus was Mary’s firstborn son.  By tradition, Jesus should have provided for her and protected Mary, who was a widow by then.  Jesus certainly had the power to protect Mary, but He couldn’t be right there for her (not in the traditional, directly physical way).  At least, not alone.

While He was on the cross, Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!” Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home (John 19: 25, 26).

Jesus knew he’d be physically far away from His mom the next time her donkey stalled on the road between Jerusalem and Nazareth so He called his friend John to meet her where she was and make sure she made it somewhere safe.

If you have or will have children, you’ll face the moment when you cannot be right there to fix what just went wrong in their world.  You’ll face the morning when even if you left immediately and none of the 16 million sheriffs and state troopers on Highway 80 forced you to slow down, you’d still arrive too late to protect them from whomever that was in the RV that pulled over behind her.   You need friends and family who will be there for yours like they are for their own.

Jesus is the Incarnate Word who created the universe (John 1), and Mary had other sons and daughters besides Jesus (Mark 6:3).  So when we see that Jesus still developed a wide network of extended friends and family to watch over the woman He loved most in the world, it’s an example for what we should do. 
 
And trust me on this, you need that network.


Yesterday, I realized how blessed I am to have friends and family who will take
my calls and disrupt their own busy lives to make take make sure my child is safe, fed, comforted, and protected in places and times when I can’t.  Today I am grateful to God for the ties of love that bind me and my house to so many others. 

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves  #Awordtothewise 

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132

Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment