Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

WHO, MAY I ASK, IS CALLING?

My cell phone died (again) a few days ago, so I had to find an old phone and transfer my sim card.  However, my contacts didn't transfer from phone to phone.

Now, people who talk to you somewhat frequently don't give their names when they call or text  (because they assume that you have their names show up as one of your contacts). 

Soooo, I have a lot of missed calls, voice mails,  and text messages from disembodied numbers. 
The texts include:
WELL WHAT DID U DECIDE
DID U GET IT?
WILL THAT DATE WORK FOR U
PICK ME UP ON UR WAY IN
LOL
IKR
Y HAVNT U CALLED ME BACK

Detached from a specific name, these messages make no sense to me.  I don't know who said it, so I've no idea how to respond.

In the immediate sense, this means that when you send me a voice or text message, you should include your name so I can save your number in my contacts.

In a larger sense, there is a spiritual lesson here:    YOUR CALLING ONLY MAKES SENSE IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHO'S CALLING.

If your pastor, deacon, elder, or bishop asks you to do something it may seem pointless, like just another frivolous religious thing.  When you learn of a tragedy or social need in your community, your engagement can seem irrelevant, a wasted drop in the bucket of activism. 

But maybe, maybe the reason you don't feel compelled to do more is that you don't understand Who is actually calling. 
 
 
Jesus preached social activism (Matthew 25). 
The apostles asked members of the early church to step up to greater leadership (Acts 1; Acts 6).
The anointing of God is often revealed through the intercession of human beings.  Think of Samuel calling for David to be brought in out of the pastures (1 Samuel 16).

Before you respond to the offer or ambition of a new task or responsibility, pray and watch.  Discern if and how this opportunity fits with what you're supposed to be accomplishing.  Point blank ask God to show you whether this chance is part of or outside of His will.

Maybe the calling is actually from the Lord.  And, maybe not.
 
Remember that even genuinely anointed men/ women of God can make the human error of calling on you to do the opposite of what God wants simply because they think it's a good idea (1 Kings 13: 11-32).

You gotta know who's calling.

As for me and my phone situation, when I get a call or voicemail now, I listen very carefully to discern the voice and identity of the speaker.  If I can't figure it out, I confess my ignorance and ask point blank, "Who's this?"  When I get a text now from an unknown number, I send back the message: LOST MY CONTACTS. WHO IS THIS?

I do feel a little embarrassed, but I understand that unless I know WHOM THE CALL(ING) COMES FROM, I WON'T UNDERSTAND HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO RESPOND.

I  hope that you learn this lesson, too (preferably without your phone dying).

No comments:

Post a Comment