Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

ROLE MODELS

This past weekend, Sheila and I were at a the CME church’s Alabama Spring Convocation. That’s where we saw the Brasfields.  Mr. and Mrs. Robert Brasfields are in their eighties, but they’re still active in church functions.  We see them at all the statewide CME church functions. 

So, you have to picture this.

The four of us were in the lobby of a building at Miles College.  None of us was more than a foot away from the other.  I was facing Mrs. Brasfield.  My wife was facing Mr. Brasfield.

Mrs. Brasfield looked up and said to me with a smile, “You know this week we’ll be married 60 years.”
As she finished her sentence, Mr. Brasfield immediately said to my wife, “You know, our 60th anniversary is next week.” 
His wife laughed, “I just said that.”

As Bro. Brasfied bent his 6 foot-plus frame to take the arm of his 5 foot-minus and stooped wife, he turned to me with a smile and said, “60 years!  This fella said to me, ‘Don’t ya’ll get tired of looking at each other?’  I said, ‘If we do we don’t remember.’ “

You can keep Jay-Z and Beyonce and all of your Real Housewives of Wherever.

The Brasfields of Tuscaloosa, Alabama----Those are my role models.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer, and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.
Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church and the executive director of SAYNO (Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization) in Montgomery, Alabama.

Call  334-288-0577
Email
atgravestwo2@aol.com
Friend me at
www.facebook.com/rev.a.t.graves

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

If you enjoy our work, please help support our work in the community. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to:
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment