Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

MY TWO SALVATIONS


When they crucified Jesus, the  Romans placed Him between two thieves.  Each of those thieves asked Jesus to save him.  The Lord only saved one. 

I’ve been both of those thieves.

When I was 21, I was sitting on the top back step of an upstairs-downstairs duplex trying to figure out how to get the huge metal desk my father had given me out the back door and down the steps without dropping it, falling, or being crushed to death by it.  My roommate and I couldn’t take the desk down the much wider front steps  because we were breaking our lease and sneaking out of the apartment.

My life was a mess. 

I’d dropped out of school, lost both of my full scholarships, completely screwed up all of the important relationships in my life, and now I was a fugitive from a ghetto landlord, and there was a giant grey desk jammed into the kitchen doorway behind me.

I plopped down on the steps and prayed.  I asked God to forgive me for my sins.  I asked Jesus to be my Savior.

Nothing happened.

I don’t just mean that there was no spectacularly miraculous or emotional display.  I mean nothing happened inside me.

I was not convicted of sin.  I did not feel the assurance of salvation.  It was not the beginning of a new life.  My heart was not strangely warmed.  No new birth.  No regeneration.  I…I know I was not changed.

I had prayed the sinner’s prayer, but I wasn’t  saved.


For a few minutes I sat, waiting.  Then I abandoned the desk and stuffed the rest of our stuff into my car.  The landlord caught us pulling out of the driveway. (Our downstairs neighbor had snitched.)    I lied.  We left, and I kept right on sinning the sinful sins I had sinned before.

I was still the first thief.

The first thief on the cross next to Jesus cried out, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”  (Luke 23: 39)  

He didn’t regret his actions; he regretted the consequences. He didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah, but he thought it was worth a shot.

But, the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

God knew that what I wanted on those steps was a rescue not a relationship. God knew I wasn’t humbled.  I was hustling like a thief trying to escape execution.


About a year later I was engaged and a few months out from the wedding. I had tried “getting myself together” but I felt myself falling apart.  Around 2 A.M., alone on the 3rd shift at a convenience store off I-85, I locked the doors, fell on my knees between the snack food aisles in front of the beer cooler and gave my life to Christ. I confessed everything.  I surrendered everything.  I submitted to whatever God wanted me to do, go through, or become. 

I’ve never cried so hard in my life. 

I was absolutely broken.  I was whole for the first time. And I have never been the same.   That night Jesus saved my soul like He’d saved the other thief crucified next to Him.

The thief on the other cross rebuked his friend and said, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.” (Luke 23:40-42)

His prayer wasn’t very well constructed.  It missed several  crucial theological benchmarks. Dude didn’t even say, “Amen.” 

But the Lord looked at his heart, and Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

On the floor of that gas station, God looked at my heart and assured me that I would be with Him in Paradise.

A personal relationship with Jesus is a relationship between your spirit and the Holy Spirit, a heart-to-heart connection between you and God.  If you give the sound of your words to Jesus but not your heart, you’re stuck on the steps, hanging on the first thief’s cross, still doomed. 

You can fool me, your mama, and the entire church, but you can’t hide your heart from God.

The flip-side is that you don’t have to get yourself together.  You don’t have to memorize an eloquent liturgy of repentance.  You don’t have to speak in tongues or first give a sacrificial seed-offering.  You don’t have to be in the right place nor do you have to wait for the right time.

All you have to be is sincere. You just have to be honest with God and yourself.  You just have to let go, and let Him.

Jesus knows your heart, and He still wants you for Himself.

He received a condemned thief.  He received me.  He’ll receive you. 

Give your heart to Him.

For real.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132

Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment