Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

PARENTING & COLLATERAL DAMAGE

In February in Ohio, a man got into an argument with his wife and threw a coffee mug at her.  He missed and hit their 2 month old son.   He wasn’t aiming for the boy.   He was mad at his wife.

Their son died.  (Link to article.)

In 2 Samuel chapter 11, King David committed adultery with Bathsheba and had her husband killed to cover it up.  In the next chapter, God sent the prophet Nathan to David with this message:  Because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also who is born to you shall surely die. (2 Samuel 12:14)

Neither David nor Bathsheba aimed their sin at their innocent child, but that is who absorbed the brunt of consequences for their sin.

I live in perpetual fear of scenarios like these. I’m scared that I will do something unrelatedly stupid that will ricochet onto my children, so I pray, “Lord, please don’t let them hurt because of me!”

But here’s the truth stated by the Bible and reinforced by current events: as parents, our choices --- positive and negative ---- affect our children, even when the choosing has nothing to do with them.

What I do with my money, my money that I’ve earned, will expand or limit the options my children have as they enter adulthood.

The way I treat people, especially my wife, will forever shape what my daughter and my son expect from and give to every significant relationship they have.

My walk with God in accord with or in contrast to the Scriptures I claim to believe: that’s the filter through which my children and the grandchildren who look to them for spiritual guidance will process every theological idea that pops into their heads.

When I was a kid in early elementary school, my father and I were watching a pro football game.  I remember  that the Dallas Cowboys were playing.  Pops made an out loud comment to himself  about how stupid the game was and how the players didn’t know him, didn’t care about him, and it didn’t make sense for him to care about their stupid game.  He kept watching the game.  Heck, he wasn’t even really talking to me, but to this day I have no interest whatsoever in professional sports.  I don’t even watch the Superbowl.

What we throw out hits them even if they’re not the ones we’re aiming at.

That’s what I think it means when God says that He visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation. (Exodus 34: 7b)

The rule inthis life is that what we throw out as parents WILL ricochet onto our children.  Ricochet and reverberate for generations.

And the only reason the accumulation of ancestral idiocy hasn’t rendered us all too screwed up to function is that God in the same breath declares Himself to the God who keeps mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin. (Exodus 34: 7a)

Because God is merciful, He has interceded so that my children are on track to growing into better persons than I was and am.  He is answering my cry, “Lord, please don’t let me screw them up!”

But because I understand the rule, I am still very careful about what I throw.  I’m more and more mindful and intentional with money decisions.  I try (I tryyyy) to treat everybody like my kids will review the interaction on youtube.  I live and pray and fail but never surrender in pursuit of the holiness to which every believer is called. 

I can’t predict when my kids will step into the path of the words, actions, and example I toss out into the world.  Neither can you.    But we can order our lives according to God’s Word so that whatever touches them from our hands raises them up and doesn’t lay them low.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064


No comments:

Post a Comment