Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2015

CHARLESTON WHATEVER


“This scares me.”

My daughter had tears in her eyes as she looked up from her phone. 

We were on the last leg of a family vacation to the mountains.  She’d spent the week hanging out with her closest cousins, having all kinds of fun.  At that moment we were in the largest mall in Chattanooga, and my wife and I were buying her stuff.  It was the intersection of all good things for a teenager. 

But Kaitlin had been scanning social media reports and comments about the murder of 9 Black churchgoers at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston.

When she spoke there was grief and fear in my daughter’s 16 year-old eyes. Grief for the families of the victims.  Fear for me.

The massacre happened in weekly Bible study at a historic Black Methodist church. I teach weekly evening Bible study at the historic Miles Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.

The murderer was a young white male, a visitor who didn’t fit the typical demographic profile of the congregation. At my previous pastorate, I brought in the first all White family to join that historically Black church.

The dead included the pastor, a socially active preacher in his early 40’s. I’m the pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church.  I'm a community activist, and I’m 43.

My daughter was afraid that somebody might kill HER DADDY at Bible study.

I wanted to reassure her, to give her a word of comfort.  I told her not to worry about stupid people making stupid comments because they just wanted to start stupid argumetns.  My  comfort could've been summarized in one word:

“Whatever.”

To be a Christian pastor in the real world is to be a sheep who’s Shepherd has sent him to preach among wolves (Mathew 10: 16).  And you know what wolves do to sheep?

The death of more good Christian preachers at the hands of people who are motivated by hate and guided by evil is not just possible.  It is inevitable. 

Jesus prophesied that, “Yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them.” (Luke 16: 2, 4)

And the racial component isn’t new either.  America’s current racial system is color-coded, but remember that less than 100 years ago Italian and Irish were considered distinct minority racial designations.  In 1st century Judaea, being Samaritan or Galilean was a lot like being Irish or Italian in early 19th century America.

When the Jewish elite got really frustrated with Jesus they used the racial language of the day to attack Him.

Then the Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?” (John 8: 48)  Notice how the accusation of Samaritan-ness is presented as equal to the accusation of demonism.  To be the wrong race was to be inherently evil.

Even among Jesus’ fellow Galileans, there was intra-bigotry. When the future apostle Nathanael heard about Jesus, his first reaction was, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” (John 1:46)  And Nathanael was from Cana in Galilee. 

When I was a kid in Mississippi, we would’ve said that Nathanael was colorstruck.  He was superficially prejudiced against his own racial group.

Racial division and hatred within the “promised” nation is neither new nor exclusively American.  Since at least the Tower of Babel, humans have transformed our differences into divisions.    And when one group of us wanted to prove themselves spiritually superior but couldn’t, they pulled the race card as if ethnicity defined the value of one’s soul.

You’re a Samaritan which means that you have a demon.
He’s from Nazareth which means He’s just no good.

To that, Jesus was like, “Whatever.”

He told the Jews, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me.” (John 8: 49)  He didn’t even deal with the (inaccurate) racial designation.

He turned Nathanael’s focus back onto Nathanael, forcing the “good” Galilean to consider whether he really was what he considered himself to be, “an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!” (John 1: 47)  Jesus didn’t address the question of whether Cana-skinned Galileans were better than Nazareth-skinned Galileans.

Jesus knew that all that the racialized language was a channel from which deeper things flowed: self-hate and spiritual evil.

Dylan Roof, a twenty-something year-old White man murdered 9 Black people in their church after sitting with them for an hour of Bible study and prayer. 

According to a survivor of the massacre, he told them, “I have to do it. You’re [Black people] raping our women and taking over the country. You have to go.”  Then he shot the pastor.

That is 21st century racism.  That is historic American bigotry.  But underlying that prejudice is the same primal self-hate, the same ancient evil that has always grasped at ethnic straws to justify itself.

The martyrs of Emanuel AME Church had not raped Dylan’s women.  And Jesus wasn’t from Samaria, but that didn’t really matter. 

The citizens of Nazareth were no less Galilean than the residents of Cana.  And the martyrs of Emanuel AME Church were equal citizens of the same nation as Dylan Roof.  But that didn’t really matter.

Dylan Roof didn’t walk into into Emanuel AME Church to solve a racial problem.  He came only to steal, kill, and destroy. 

Racism is a cover and conduit for deep, spiritual evil.  The Confederate flag might as well be an inverted pentagram with a goat’s head painted in it.   As long as racism, including the more insidious and covert form of racism that’s now practiced,  continues then my daughter’s fears will continue to be justified.

Some other evil person might walk into my church and shoot me because the prince of the power of the air in America has convinced him that I’m the Samaritan with the demon.

Some other agent of the spirit of this age might shoot me because I fit the profile of a no-good Galilean and that makes him “feel in fear for his life.”

It’s happened before.  It’s happened before that.  And it will happen again because we still don’t see the personal evil behind our racism.

I do. 

But it doesn’t scare me because I know that God saw it coming.

“But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them.” (Luke 16: 4)

I’m not afraid because I know that God has my back.

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”(John 16:3)

I fear not because I’ve made up my mind that for Jesus I live and for Jesus I will, if necessary, die.

As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long. We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” (Romans 8: 36)

I’m going to continue welcoming visitors of all races.  I’m going to keep encouraging hospitality above suspicion.  I ain’t gonna stop teaching Bible study because my conduct is also a channel for something spiritually deeper:  the love and grace of Jesus Christ.

I am a Black sheep among wolves.  And Dylan Roof is not the only wolf out there.  But the Lord is my shepherd.

So, you know.  Whatever.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise 

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment