Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

MY CROSS, THEIR FLAG


I'm a born-again Christian.  I believe in Jesus Christ with all my heart.  That faith informs every decision I make.  That personal faith convicts me and draws me back when I deviate from it.  But I don't wear a cross. 

I'm a Methodist pastor, but I don't own a single cross necklace, or bracelet.  There are no crucifixes hanging in my house.  I've got couple of t-shirts with crosses embedded in other logos and symbols, but that's it.

Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour walking through a housing project in 90 degree heat, inviting people to the church I pastor and praying with them.  But I don’t wear a cross.  Does that mean I’m not a Christian?

I teach the teen class in our Vacation Bible School.  I teach two Bible studies on Tuesdays and I preach at least once a week.  But I don’t have a crucifix hanging on the door of my house.   Does that mean I’m not a Christian?

I pray ----- a lot. I obsessively study and think about Scripture.  I cry, literally shed physical tears, when I feel I missed the mark on a task God gave me.  But I don’t publicly display the cross--- the symbol of my Christian heritage.   Does that mean that I’m not a Christian? 

I “wear” my faith in my actions.  I explicitly use the name of Jesus when I talk about my core values and motivations.  If you talk to me for more than 3 ½ minutes you’ll hear about my God and my wife.   

If I bear my cross, do I still have to wear one?

If my heart, my actions, my thoughts, my intentions are focused on and directed by Jesus, do I need the public symbol?

Does wearing the cross make me a Christian, or does living for Christ?

I hear that South Carolina’s governor wants to remove the Confederate flag from the state capitol’s grounds.  I hear that Walmart and other companies are going to stop carrying rebel flag paraphernalia.   I hear that some people are scraping the Confederate bumper stickers of their cars because they don’t want to look racist.

That’s cool.  I really think it’s a good thing.

But, if your heart, your actions, your thoughts, your intentions are focused on and directed by a belief that non-White people are inherently less intelligent, more violent, less ethical, more criminal, less worthy of compassion or citizenship----- does taking down a flag change who you are?  

Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer. (Deuteronomy 10: 16)

It's nice to see pro-Christian symbols in my community.  But I'd rather see more hearts and lives genuinely aligned with the gospel.

I want to see the symbol of the Confederacy come down from my Alabama’s and Mississippi’s flagpoles.  But I want even more to see the Confederacy die in my neighbors’ hearts.  

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132
Fairfield, Al 35064


No comments:

Post a Comment