Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2015

DRAMA ENVY: I WISH I HAD YOUR PROBLEMS



For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.  (Romans 5: 10)

All across my newsfeeds I see people posting about the haters trying to get at them, the cheating men/ women who don’t appreciate them, the fake friends who gossip behind their backs, and the devil--- the devil attacking them at every turn.

I envy those people.

I envy them because all their problems are external, and external problems are easy to fix. 

Got haters?  Stop listening to them.
Being cheated on?  Leave that fool and don’t take them back.
Fake, gossiping friends?  Stop telling them your business.  And stop calling them “friends.”
Hateful boss?  Transfer.
Dysfunctional, co-dependent family?  Move and stop calling them 20 times a day.
Nosy folks on Facebook?  Get off Facebook.  (If you can’t handle strangers you friended disagreeing with you, just delete your social media profile.)
And the devil?  The devil’s the easiest one.  FORGET THE DEVIL. Focus on God.  Jesus handled satan a long time ago. 

I wish I was one of those people who’s pleased with myself and afflicted only by external enemies and haters.  But sadly that’s not my luck.

My biggest enemy is ME.

Like Paul said, “The good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”  (Romans 7: 19-23)

I don’t wake worried in the middle of the night, afraid of what my haters are going to try.  I do stress over how prepared I am (or am not) to fulfill my part of all the deals I’ve made with God over the years.

I seldom get into a lot of drama with other people.  My headaches come from pulling logs out of my own eye.  My freshest and deepest scars have come from wrestling with myself.  And I’m a tough dude. 

So, I look with wonder at all these folks who only every have trouble because of what other people do to them.  It’s like the strange gospel narrative I hear in some Christian circles: 
We know that the Lord Jesus interceded in history to save us from sin.  But the way they tell it, the Lord apparently came to save them from EVERYBODY ELSE’S sins.  Must be because they quickly say that they don’t regret their old ways.    So they’re unrepentant ----but saved.  Therefore, they must be saved from what other people did wrong.  In their version of the gospel, every saint is a victim of sin, rescued by the grace of God in Jesus Christ.

But I don’t read it like that. 

The way I see the gospel, Jesus came to save me from MY sins.  Jesus came to save you from YOUR sins.  We aren’t the victims. 

We’re the villains.

For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. (Romans 5: 10)

I have my share of haters, false friends, unreasonable supervisors, crazy family, and spiritual attacks.  I know that you do, too.  But I strongly recommend a fresh assessment of who is the greatest source of trouble in your life.  Is it really ALL men? ALL women?  Is it really only their fault?  Or is it your choices?  Does the problem begin with what they do, or with how you respond to what they do?

But probably, it’s them.  Just them.  Not you, not you at all.

You don’t contribute anything to your own drama.

It’s probably just me.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. (1 John 1: 8-10)



---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Miles Chapel CME Church in Fairfield, Alabama;  executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO);  and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

Subscribe to my personal blog  www.andersontgraves.blogspot.com .

Email atgravestwo2@aol.com
Follow me on twitter @AndersonTGraves 
#Awordtothewise

You can help support this ministry with a donation to Miles Chapel CME Church.

You can help support Rev. Graves’ work by visiting his personal blog and clicking the DONATE button on the right-hand sidebar.

Support by check or money order may be mailed to 
Miles Chapel CME Church
P O Box 132

Fairfield, Al 35064

No comments:

Post a Comment