Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A WORD TO THE WISE. Proverbs 28: 26

Proverbs 28: 26     He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, but whoever walks wisely will be delivered.

Proverbs 28:6. Disney movies have a common theme:  Just follow your heart. 

Yeah…..?

Well, if your heart and/or your mind tell you, “Yes,” but the Word of God says, “No,” then who wins?

If your heart and/or your mind say, “No,” but the Word of God tells you, “Yes,” then whom do you obey?

In real life, many of our sins and bad decisions are tied to things (and people) that are near and dear to our hearts.  No one wants to hear about sexual sins or immoral relationships because that gets close to criticizing love or family. 

You can’t tell people what to do or not do with their time, their money, or their bodies; because that’s like infringing on intellectual liberty.

But, look around.  We’re following our hearts in opposition to God’s Word.  We’re justifying our actions when they violate God’s commands.  And it’s not really working out that well for us. 

But, O.K. We fall down, but we get back up again.  We mess up and God cleans us up.  Redemption and restoration are at the core of Christianity.  True.  True. 

But.

Redemption and restoration require repentance.  Repentance means being sincerely sorry and then sincerely changing. 

We ain’t sorry, and we don’t wanna change.

We want to follow our hearts, and we want God to go with us as we do.

I’m sorry, but that’s stupid.

Do I really think that some re-conceptualization of the family, faith, or function that I came up with out of necessity created by the consequences of something I never should have been doing in the first place is betterthan what omniscient God came up with when He invented people?

Yeah, I gotta do the best I can with what I got, but I shouldn’t lie to myself.  My back-up plan isn’t as good as God’s original plan.

And so, when I teach the generation that looks to me for wisdom I have to choose to either (A) justify and perpetuate my foolishness; or (B) confess my sins as sins and teach the next generation to follow the wisdom of God.

Which is the wiser choice?

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. --- Albert Einstein
---Anderson T. Graves II

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is the pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church
Call/ fax: 334-288-0577
Email us at hallmemorialcme1@aol.com
Friend Pastor Graves at www.facebook.com/rev.a.t.graves

If you want to be a blessing to this ministry, contributions may be made by check or money order.

Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Rd.,
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment