Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

"The Next Step" an incomplete play by A. T. Graves II

I'm working on  a short play, and I'm stuck at a certain place in the dialogue.  Read it and help me out.  Post comments with your ideas for the rest of the dialogue.

"The Next Step" by Anderson T. Graves II
Person:            Hey, Society.  I just got out of jail.  I have nowhere to stay, nothing to eat, and no money.  They revoked my driver’s license and I owe $1,000 in fines even though I spent all that time in jail.

Society:          So, what are you going to do?

Person:           I guess I’ll sell some drugs and rob some people.

Society:            Are you kidding me?!  Don’t do that.

Person:             Well then, Society, what should I do?

Society:           Get a job.  Pay your fines.  Get your license back, and build a better life for yourself.

Person:            O.K., Society, you’re right.  I’m willing to work.  Gimme a job.

Society:            [laughing] What?  Are you kidding me?  I’m not going to hire you.  You’re  a criminal with no permanent address.  I mean, you don’t even have a driver’s license.

The Person walks away from Society.
Enter the Streets.

Streets:                                Hey, man.  What’s up?

Person :               I just got out of jail.  I have nowhere to stay, nothing to eat, and no money.  They revoked my driver’s license and I gotta come up with $1,000 or they're gonna lock me back up.
 
Streets:             Oh, man.  That’s messed up.  I tell you what  Here’s a couple hundred dollars and a place to crash for a few days.  All I want you to do is sell these drugs and rob a few people.

Enter the Preacher, interrupting the conversation with the Streets.

Preacher:            No!  Don’t do that.

Person:             Why not, Preacher?
 
Streets backs away, but not far, and stands smirking, listening, waiting.

Preacher:            Because it’s wrong.  Following the Streets again displeases God, and just sets you up to end up back in jail, or worse.

Person:           O.K., Preacher, you’re right.  So, you got somewhere for me to stay until I get on my feet?

Preacher:            No.  I don’t have anywhere for you to stay.

Person:               You gonna hire me?

Preacher:            I can’t.  I don’t have a job to give you.

Person:                Hmmmph.  You know, Preacher, there’s this verse in your Bible.   James 2: 16.

“If one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?” 

And there’s this other passage.  1 John 3 17 & 18.

 “Whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.”

So tell me something, Preacher.  Why should I listen to you or to Society, when according to your own Bible, the Streets are the only one that are showing me love?
 

WELL?   WHAT’S THE PREACHER’S NEXT LINE?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment