Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Proverbs 30: 10. "The Hazards of Being a Hater"

Proverbs 30:10     Do not malign a servant to his master, lest he curse you, and you be found guilty.

Proverbs 30: 10.  We worry way too much about “haters.” 
We spend too much time talking about and complaining about which bosses and teachers “don’t like me.”
We waste too much energy telling ourselves and each other that “Oh, they’re just jealous.” 
If instead of meticulously cataloging all the people you know didn’t want you to get that promotion anyway, you critiqued yourself and did a better job preparing for the next interview--------- you might actually get promoted next time.

“Take heed to YOURSELF” is what the Bible says.  (Deuteronomy 12: 30; 1 Timothy 4: 16; Galatians 6: 1)

Yet and at the same time, the Bible states that haters are real.  It’s NOT AN EXCUSE, but it is a reality that some people don’t want to see you succeed; and some of those people will try to sabotage your progress. 

David wrote Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head.  They are mighty who would destroy me, being my enemies wrongfully.  Though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it.  (Psalm 69: 4)

Haters are real. (David wrote several psalms about haters.  Psalm 56 is actually my favorite.)

In the midst of his hate-tastrophe (Yes, I just made up that word, but it’s a pretty cool word.), David took heed to himself and admitted, O God, You know my foolishness; and my sins are not hidden from You. (Psalm 69: 5)

Some people are haters, and if you’re one of those people----- God don’t like you.  Well, actually God loves you, BUT He DOESN’T like what you do.

Proverbs 30: 10 warns against drinking that Hate-orade, and uses the workplace as an example.   
 
You’re a hater at work if you go around maligning/ slandering/ falsely accusing your co-workers, trying to get them in trouble for stuff (a)that  they didn’t do; (b) that you also do; and/or (c) that has absolutely nothing to do with the job; you just wanna tell their business.

If you do that then you’re setting yourself up for destruction.  One of those times----and it only takes ONE time-----somebody’s going to show the truth and expose you as a liar.  Now EVERYthing you’ve ever said or ever will say becomes suspect.  

See, when you lie like you’re telling the truth, even the truth sounds like you’re lying.

Now, when the boss sees that he’s/ she’s been lied to, they’re gonna feel like they look like a fool.  You knoooow that your boss hates to look like a fool.

And you, little hater, made him/her look foolish.  So now, you’re working (for the time being) for a boss who’s hating on YOU.

Worry less about your haters and take greater heed to yourself.  Worry less about the folks you’ve been hating on, and take greater heed to yourself.

Pray and do better.  Leave the haters to God.  You just line yourself up with God’s will.  God will make sure that everybody -----EVERYBODY------ gets what they deserve.

Psalm 18: 17     He delivered me from my strong enemy,
From those who hated me,
For they were too strong for me.
18     They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
But the Lord was my support.
19     He also brought me out into a broad place;
He delivered me because He delighted in me.
20     The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness;
According to the cleanness of my hands
He has recompensed me.
21     For I have kept the ways of the Lord,
And have not wickedly departed from my God.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama.

Call  334-288-0577
Email
atgravestwo2@aol.com
Friend me at
www.facebook.com/rev.a.t.graves

To hear sermons, read devotions, and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme@blogspotcom.

If you enjoy our work, please help support our work in the community. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment