Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2013

Proverbs 30:15. "Unleeched"

Proverbs 30: 15     The leech has two daughters— Give and Give!
There are three things that are never satisfied; four never say, “Enough!”:
16     The grave, The barren womb, The earth that is not satisfied with water— And the fire never says, “Enough!”

Proverbs 30: 15, 16.  “Give me.”    “Help me.”

People use these statements interchangeably, but they are very, very different.  Different in DEFINITION.  And different in DEFINING.

“Help me” can mean “HELP me.”  Work with me.  Teach me what I didn’t know before I put myself in this situation.  Show me what I had not seen so that I don’t end up like this again.  Contribute whatever or however you choose to, but hold me ultimately responsible.  Please, HELP me be more responsible. 

But, the phrase “Help me” can also be defined as “gimme.”  Gimme what I want.  Handle it so I don’t have to.  Release me from responsibility for my actions and circumstances.  Gimme, and then be ready to gimme some more.

What matters isn’t the words, but the DEFINITION/ the meaning behind the words.  Titles and terminology can be a disguise but the real DEFINITION behind what comes out of our mouths will soon show.

Differences in DEFINITION are important, but what’s more important are the differences in DEFINING.

In Matthew 7: 15-20, Jesus said that a tree, a prophet, or a person is DEFINED by the fruit he/she bears.  It is our fruit/actions/output that DEFINES us.

So, if what comes out of you is always “Gimme.  Gimme,” then according to the definition in Proverbs 30: 15, you are A LEECH.

You’re not a victim.  You’re not a little down on your luck.  You may say “all I need is a little help,” but if your idea of help is somebody else handing you money while you do nothing more or different------ God says that you’re A LEECH.

Rev., that’s harsh.

Bro., that’s Bible.

Leeches suck the life out of their host, pausing their consumption only long enough to reproduce.  Other than that a leech will drink until it dies, or the host does.

The grave never says, “Enough death.”

The barren womb is never filled.

The parched earth does not believe that it will ever get enough rain.

The fire never reaches more fuel and stops because it has consumed enough.

So it is with the leech, whether animal or human.   He doesn’t know when to quit taking.  She doesn’t know how to stop begging. 

Consider yourself:
1.      When they tell you that you’re asking for their last, do you ask anyway?

2.      Will you really change the way you live to get the help you need, or do you keep saying “I’m doing good, I just can’t pay my bills  (again)”?

3.      Do you believe that sacrifice now will reward you later, or do you feel like you have to ball while you can because “I ain’t never gone have nothing anyway”?

If the description fits, there is a reason why your life sucks.

You’re a leech.

But wait. 

You don’t have to stay that way.  You can be unleeched.

God can remove the consuming character from fire, like He did for Shadrach, Meshach, and Abengo (Daniel 3).

God can send rain on land that has known only drought for years, like He did through Elijah(1 Kings 18: 41-45).

God can speak life into the barren womb, just like He did for Sarah (Genesis 21: 1-7).

God can command the grave to give up its prey, as He did when He called Lazarus forth (John 11).

The Lord can make that which is never satisfied declare “Enough.”  God can unleech you.

Stop making excuses.  Stop waiting for someone else to give you something else.  Stop living a life that sucks.

Submit to God.  Give yourself to Jesus.  Walk according to the Living Word.  Be transformed.  

Be UNLEECHED.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama.

Call  334-288-0577
Email
atgravestwo2@aol.com
Friend me at
www.facebook.com/rev.a.t.graves

To hear sermons, read devotions, and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme@blogspotcom.

If you enjoy our work, please help support our work in the community. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment