Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2013

FOR FATHER'S DAY, A REVIEW FROM THE BOOK OF BUFORD

Proverbs 3:1 My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; 
2 For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,
4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.

Growing up, I thought that my father (Buford Graves) was waaaaaaayyyy too hard on me.  He fussed too much.  He expected to much.  He had too many rules, and waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much advice----- that I didn't even ask for.

Now I'm a man.  And I'm trying to be a good husband, a good father, a good pastor, and a good man in a world that seems unequivocally committed to undermining every good thing.

Now, I understand what my father was doing. 

Buford did for me what Solomon tried to do for his son with the book of Proverbs.  My father gave me the tools I needed for success in a world that would hold more opportunities and more perils than what he had known. 

So, let me share with you just a few of the things my father taught me.  (I've had to clean up the original language quite a bit.) 

1. Just because it isn’t your fault doesn’t mean it isn’t your responsibility.

2. A man who won’t work isn’t a man.

3. Nobody cares how you feel. They care what you do.

4. Get your tail out of bed, there is work to do; and it’s not going to do itself.

5. Half-doing it is the same as not doing it.

6. Do right by everybody. You don’t know who they know.

7. Mind your own business.

8. Never spend your last dollar.

9. Quit crying.

10. However bad things may get, if you own some land you’ll never be homeless.

11. Nothing and nobody makes you run when you’re in your own yard.

12. In an organization, find out who can say, “Yes,” when everyone else has said, “No;” and

“No” when everyone else has said, “Yes.” Meet that person.

13. If you stab somebody in the back, expect somebody else to shoot you in the head.

14. Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But mostly keep your mouth shut.

15. Know where the exits are.

16. Protect women. Protect children.

17. Listen to old folks. They didn’t survive that long by being stupid.

18. Things don’t always go your way.

19. If you carry a knife, keep it sharp.

20. Keep gas in your car.

21. Don’t be stupid.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.


---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama.

Call  334-288-0577
Email
atgravestwo2@aol.com
Friend me at
www.facebook.com/rev.a.t.graves

To hear sermons, read devotions, and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme.blogspot.com .

If you enjoy our work, please help support our work in the community. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment