Search This Blog

Saturday, January 18, 2014

YOU KEEP USING THAT WORD...


I was talking to a teen earlier today who asked me what "matrimony" means.  She thought that it meant "peace," as in a couple marrying into a state of holy peace.
I was surprised because I know that this particular teen is very intelligent and very active in her church.
The conversation reminded me that just because people hear a term all the time doesn't mean that it means to them what it really means.
I get into these debates with people over Christian doctrines and they say, “No.  I’m a Christian.   I believe in Jesus Christ.   I just don’t think that you have to take the whole idea that Jesus was the literal Son of God literally.  I don’t think you have to believe that Jesus really physically rose from the dead for God to accept you into Heaven.”
I hear stuff like that--- ALL THE TIME, and all I can think is:  You use the word “Christian.”  I don’t think it means what you think it means.
You keep using the phrase “believe in Jesus Christ.”  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cause I read things like 1 Corinthians 15: 13-17:
But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen.
And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise.
For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen.
And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins!  (1 Corinthians 15: 13-17)

I read stuff like Mark 14: 61, 62:
Again the high priest asked Him, saying to Him, “Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?”
 Jesus said, “I am.” (Mark 14: 61, 62)

And that perhaps is the root of our problems.  We’re reading from the same Bible but using different dictionaries to define what we read.
We need to bring all our dictionaries out from our laps and lay them on the public table.  We need to be honest with our congregations about what writings we regard as authoritative.
And if the Bible isn’t at the top of your list of authoritative publications, you need to be honest about that.
If Plato trumps Paul for you, say so.
If you believe Nietzsche over Nahum, admit it.
If you hold Marx in higher esteem than Mark, tell the people.

That way we don’t just know what we say, we actually understand what everybody means.

---Anderson T. Graves II   is a writer, community organizer and consultant for education, ministry, and rural leadership development.

Rev. Anderson T. Graves II is pastor of Hall Memorial CME Church in Montgomery, Alabama, executive director of the Substance Abuse Youth Networking Organization (SAYNO) and director of rural leadership development for the National Institute for Human Development (NIHD).

To hear sermons, read devotions, and learn more about the ministry at Hall Memorial CME Church, visit www.hallmemorialcme.blogspot.com .


If this message helps or touches you, please help support this ministry. Send a donation of any amount by check or money order.
Mail all contributions to :
Hall Memorial CME Church
541 Seibles Road
Montgomery, AL 36116

No comments:

Post a Comment